PaveCoat Petrol Resistant
For surfaces exposed to petrol and mild solvents
Nutech PaveCoat Petrol Resistant is specially formulated for surfaces exposed to petrol and mild solvents. Available in clear and colours. Petrol Resistant PaveCoat is a high quality gloss acrylic coating for concrete or masonry surfaces. Standard acrylic concrete sealers usually become very slippery and dirty when contaminated with petrol or solvents. This is avoided by using petrol resistant sealer.
- Service Stations
- Work Shops
- Factory Floors
- Garage Workshop Floors
- Automotive Pit Areas
- Exceptional durability.
- Designed as a 2 coat system on high density surfaces
- Resistant to Chemicals, Mild Solvent and Petrol
- Excellent protection against Fading or Leaching of oxides in concrete
- Excellent protection against staining or marking due to contaminants including grease, oil and dirt
- Excellent pigment dispersion – can be cut in various appropriate solvents.
Sealing New Concrete Surfaces
It is very important to clean all new concrete before applying Petrol Resistant PaveCoat sealers.
- The best method is to high-pressure water blast (> 2000 Psi) to remove concrete salts and dust (efflorescence), dirt and contamination.
- It is also necessary to etch the surfaces to improve surface porosity, therefore we recommend using Nu EcoSafe Etch.
This includes Slate impression concrete, Polished or Ground concrete, Stone dust and Colour hardened concrete, Steel trowelled concrete and Smooth trowelled joint and Borderlines.
A mixture of 1 part Nu EcoSafe Etch to 10 parts clean water is poured over the concrete and allowed to penetrate for 10 - 15 minutes. Thoroughly flush the surface with water to remove the solution and allow to dry completely before sealing. For stipple finish or rough concrete the mix ratio for etching is 1 part to 15 parts.
The first coat of clear or coloured sealer must be diluted with Nutech PR Solvent to assist penetration into the concrete.
Ensure first coat saturation to assist penetration into the concrete surface and guarantee satisfactory adhesion.
Adding 4 litres of Nutech PR Solvent to 20 litres of Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat on plain concrete and up to 50% Nutech PR Solvent for hardened, topping coloured and smooth steel trowelled concrete is recommended.
On very porous concrete, thinning of the first coat may not be required.
Number of Coats
More than two coats of a light coloured sealer may be required on concrete or when over coating a darker surface.
The second coat of sealer does not require thinning.
In hot weather the addition of 2 litres of Thinners per 20 litres of Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat will reduce surface bubbling.
In winter concrete is usually cold and wet on the surface for at least 2-3 days and sometimes for up to one week. Sealing of this concrete is not recommended until the surface has started to whiten indicating adequate curing.
Sealing & Resealing old Concrete
- Remove all Grease, Oil, Food, Contamination and Flaking paint before sealing or resealing.
- Nutech Nu EcoSafe High Strength Degreaser should be used to remove Oil and Grease. Soaking heavy stains with Nu EcoSafe High Strength Degreaser before high pressure water cleaning is recommended.
- All cleaners, Chewing gum, Food, Silicon and Acrylic paint should be completely removed from the concrete before Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat is applied.
- Thorough testing is recommended before applying Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat over a previously sealed surface to ensure compatibility.
- Before applying Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat DO NOT acid etch the concrete if there is an existing sealer or coating on the surface because coating delamination will occur.
Very old, hard sealer or problem and delaminating sealer surfaces should be thoroughly scrubbed with Nutech Seal Repair Solution before re-sealing.
- It is recommended that a small area is tested using this method and left to weather for at least 4-6 weeks.
- If the new sealer on the test area fails, stripping the old sealer, acid etching and high pressure water cleaning will be required before applying new coats of Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat.
Sealing of smooth and sloping concrete surfaces will reduce pedestrian and vehicle safety. Adding one to three 300gram packets of Nutech Anti-Slip Additive per 20 litres in the final coat of Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat will reduce slipping and improve pedestrian safety.
Nutech Anti-Slip Additive is not adequate on steep concrete therefore Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat is not recommended for sealing very steep and smooth concrete. Refer to your Nutech specialist for alternative coating recommendations on steep smooth surfaces.
Curing time is dependant on temperature. Full curing is not achieved for up to one week.
At 25°C Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat will touch dry in 30 minutes.
Allow a minimum of 2 hours between coats.
Do not park vehicles with hot tyres or place heavy items on newly applied Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat for at least 7 days.
DO NOT apply Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat late in the day as the risk of surface damage caused by dew and condensation increases.
Sealer affected by moisture loses gloss and may appear milky.
If inadequate sealer thickness is applied on new concrete, some efflorescence (salt whitening) may occur for a short period.
This white powder can usually be washed off easily and should cease after several months.
The application of one or two additional coats of sealer can prevent the appearance of white salts.
Soft or damaged concrete should not be sealed with Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat without special surface treatment to stabilise and harden the concrete.
Although Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat will prevent surface powdering of the concrete, sealers do not appreciably increase the hardness of the concrete surface.
Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat contains flammable solvents and suitable safety precautions must be taken during handling and application.
Ensure Nutech PR Solvent is used for thinning etc, NOT standard Nutech Thinners.
Ensure adequate ventilation if applying in enclosed spaces.
Avoid contact with naked flames, sparks, pilot lights and other sources of ignition.
Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Read ‘Safety Directions’ on container.
Seek immediate medical advice if safety or health issues arise.
Refer to the Nutech Petrol Resistant PaveCoat Material Safety Data Sheet and Nutech Concrete Sealer Application Guidleines for complete product and safety information before using the product.
PaveCoat Petrol Resistant
Clear or coloured viscous liquid
Film Forming Temperature:
Highly Flammable (> 70% Volatiles)
4 to 6m2/L
The information given in this data sheet is based on many years experience and is correct to the best of our knowledge. However as the use of our product is beyond our control we can only be responsible for the quality of our product at the time of dispatch. For additional information about specifications or application please contact our company. As this information is of a general nature we cannot assume responsibility for individual use.